Got a problem or need help?

The Office for Disability Issues is a strategic and whole-of-government focused policy team, located within the Whaikaha - Ministry of Disabled People. We do not deliver disability support services, or hold funding for services.

The following agencies can provide help with the following issues:

Complaints about health or disability services

The Nationwide Health and Disability Advocacy Service can help you if you want to know more about your rights when using health and disability services, get questions answered or make a complaint. They can also help you to find an independent advocate.

The Health and Disability Commissioner helps ensure your rights are upheld and complaints are taken care of.

The Human Rights Commission can help if you’re not sure of your rights or want to make a complaint about discrimination.

Contact Disability Support Services to ask questions or make a complaint about Ministry of Health funded disability services.

Financial assistance

Work and Income may be able to help you with living costs if you’re not able to work, or are working fewer hours because you’re disabled. They may be able to provide other assistance in certain circumstances such as funding for workplace changes to make it easier for you to stay in or get work

Looking for work

Work and Income will support you while you’re not able to work and help you realise your work goals. When it’s right for you and your family, they can help you find part-time or full-time work, get training, or become self-employed.

Mainstream Employment Programme is provides work opportunities for people with significant disabilities in State Service Organisations.

Information for carers

Information for Carers is a practical guide for people caring for family or friends who have ill health or a disability.

How to find services

Community Links are places where people can get help for a range of needs by a variety of social services and agencies. These services could range from simple financial assistance through to advocacy, support, education and counselling services.

Community Investment can help you get the support you need from within your own community. They have information on the many services available nationwide. You can search for contact details of over 6,000 family and community services using their Family Services Directory .

Removing barriers and creating opportunities

Enabling Good Lives is a partnership between government agencies and the disability sector aimed at long term transformation of how disabled people and families are supported to live everyday lives. 

How to access Ministry of Social Development services - for NZSL users

Accessing MSD Services NZSL video [Link under repair] provides information in New Zealand Sign Language about the services the Ministry offers. This resource was produced in collaboration with Deaf Aotearoa New Zealand.


Tell us what you think

Page last updated: