Outcome 5 - Resources and Guidance
The Building Act, Building Code and Building Standard NZS4121 governs the requirements for building accessibility.
- download the Standard from the Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment website
Malatest International has published a Review of Access for People with Disabilities. Available online.
Ministry of Civil Defence and Emergency Management has some useful publications on its website: Including People with Disabilities and a factsheet on recognising Disability Assist Dogs in emergencies.
- website civildefence.govt.nz
Barrier Free Trust New Zealand encourages, promotes and facilitates the creation of built environments that are accessible and usable by everyone.
- a helpline on access requirements on 027 225 5334 or email@example.com
- website barrierfree.org.nz
Community Matters website includes a Marae accessibility toolkit.
- website communitymatters.govt.nz/vwluResources/publications-MaraeAccessibilityToolkit/$file/publications-MaraeAccessibilityToolkit.pdf
Office for Disability Issues
The Office for Disability Issues website provides a range of resources aimed at improving accessibility
for disabled people:
- accessible city maps - odi.govt.nz/guidance-and-resources/accessible-city-maps
- running accessible meetings - odi.govt.nz/running-accessible-meetings
The Ministry of Transport has published a report on The accessibility of public transport for those with a disability. The report summarises the findings of the Accessible Journey stocktake that was undertaken as part of the Disability Action Plan 2014/2018.
There are two web standards that government organisations need to meet: Web Accessibility Standard 1.0 and Web Usability Standard 1.2.
Page last updated: