2022 NZSL Community Grants funding
NZSL Community Grants help NZSL to thrive in local communities and nationally by supporting activities that use NZSL. The grants are for community groups to help NZSL continue and grow. Grants can be used to:
- support projects that maintain and promote NZSL locally or nationally
- develop resources that will be available at no cost to members of the public
- to deliver a project with a clear outcome and timeline
- give more opportunities to Deaf and other NZSL users
NZSL Strategy (2018-2023)
All applications will be assessed against the NZSL Strategy (2018-2023). Please take time to read the five-year outcomes of the strategy to give your project the best chance of success.
Applications that do not meet the five-year outcomes will not be considered by the NZSL Board.
Important information for 2022
- Expressions of Interest submitted: 7 – 11 March 2022
- Opening date for applications: 14 March 2022
- Closing date for applications: 8 April 2022
- Board evaluations: May 2022
- Outcome: July 2022
This is the ninth year that the NZSL Board has run an application process for funding, giving anyone in the Deaf or NZSL user community the opportunity to put forward their project ideas.
The funding round is open for one-month and applications should describe projects with a clear outcome and timeline.
You can find more information about other NZSL grants that have already been supported by the NZSL Fund on the previous NZSL fund rounds page.
Project start dates
Projects can anticipate starting from July 2022, due to fluid nature of COVID restrictions, the project will be planned and delivered in accordance with the COVID Protection Framework. You will have a maximum of one year to complete your project.
Want to receive feedback about your idea?
The Office for Disability Issues can receive ‘Expressions of Interest’ from 7 –11 March 2022. This can be useful if you want to check that your project idea aligns with the NZSL Strategy (2018-2023) and to ask any other questions you may have. Please note that we cannot provide feedback on your application content, just the overall project idea.
Applications via Survey Monkey Apply
Applications must be submitted online through Survey Monkey Apply, 14 March to 8 April 2022.
How much can I apply for?
You can make applications for projects between $5,000 - $50,000.
Grants cannot be paid to individual bank accounts. If you are an individual, please find a fundholder who can manage the Grant for you. The fundholder organisation must be a legal entity, for example:
- registered charitable trusts
- incorporated societies
- Crown entity e.g., Tertiary institution or a subsidiary of a Crown entity
- Limited Liability Company
Your fundholder must sign a declaration stating that are happy to receive and report on the Grant on your behalf.
When will I hear about my application?
You can track progress of your application online at Survey Monkey Apply. The NZSL Board will meet in May to make recommendations on the successful applications. Successful projects will be confirmed and announced in July 2022.
- Please read the Guidelines document for all information about NZSL Community Grants 2022
- Download the Guidelines as a Word document [DOCX, 143 KB]
You can keep an eye out on the NZSL Board Facebook page for updates.
Page last updated: