New Zealand Disability Strategy Discussion Document
Action 2: Ensure rights for people experiencing disability
Uphold and promote the rights and responsibilities of people who experience disability.
- Proactively implement and monitor the human rights framework in the government sector and throughout society.
- Resource the Human Rights Commission to ensure greater focus on rapidly and fairly resolving complaints about disability discrimination.
- Review current disability discrimination legislation to enhance and strengthen the rights of people experiencing disability, eliminate systemic discrimination, review exemptions, and revisit the concept of "reasonable accommodation".
- Ensure that all legislation, regulations and policies are in line with the legislation against disability discrimination.
- Investigate structures and processes that might deliver rights more fully to people experiencing disability and their families.
8. What is the best way to ensure that the rights of people experiencing disability are met?